I. Love. Brunch… A lot. The bad news is I hardly ever get to go to brunch because I end up working every Sunday. The good news is I get my brunch fix tasting everything while I’m working. It’s a win win!
One of my favorite brunch items is quiche. A flaky crust and silky custard is the perfect foundation for almost any filling. Seriously. I’ve done everything from classic spinach-parmesan to smoked salmon-goat cheese. Once you get the basics of the crust and custard you can mix almost anything into them. It’s that easy!
Today I’m sharing a recipe for a simple but delicious sausage-cheddar quiche. At Buzz Bakery we make our own sausage (my husband Kyle’s recipe) and use a sharp cheddar. But feel free to experiment. Other fun combinations I’ve done include confit fingerling potatoes-leeks-gruyere and roasted corn-habanero pepper-cheddar. Just keep the veggies and cheese in a roughly equal ration and you’ll be all set. Even better you can make the quiche up to 4 days in advance. Just let sit at room temp for 2-3 hours before serving. Place in a 300 degree oven for 10-15 minutes until warm but not hot and you’ll have an easy and delicious brunch dish!
- 1 blind baked 9″ pie crust
- 1.5 cups cooked breakfast sausage
- 1.5 cups grated sharp cheddar
- quiche custard (see recipe below)
- Pre-Heat oven to 325 degrees F
- Mix the sausage and cheddar together
- place in the pie crust until full. push down lightly so the filling isn’t higher than the top of the crust. Any filling not submerged in custard might burn a little
- slowly pour the custard into the pie. Allow it to settle and top off until it’s completely full. I recommend you do this on the tray you intend to bake the quiche on and near the the oven.
- Place the quiche in the oven and bake for 45-60 minutes or until set. The best way to tell when the quiche is done is to tap the pie and watch how much it giggles. It should move but as a single unit, not in waves.
- Cool the quiche for 4 hours or overnight. Serves 6 slices.
- 3 large eggs
- 10 fl ounces heavy cream
- 3 fl ounces whole milk
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- Place all ingredients in a bowl
- Whisk smooth. Reserve in the refrigerator until needed, up to 2 days
- Whisk before using